Wednesday, September 30, 2009

September Blog

A Modest Proposal

Last year in English class, we read The Great Gatsby, and one of the main themes was: Money is the corrupter of the American Dream. Mrs. Holmes went on to say that money poisons all that is good. So I propose that we just simply eliminate the problem and get rid of all money. One might ask "where would all the money go?" The simple solution would be to use it as kindling, and provide warmth for the household. For those who live in the South and have no need for heat, paper money should be taken to the local recycling plant. Then money would be turned into something useful like a stationary set. The only thing that money does is make people greedy, and power hungry. By getting rid of currency, all the filthy rich scum bags would be brought down to their knees. Without money, there would be less evil people in the world. I think that the Native Americans and Egyptians had the right idea. TRADE. I'll give you this fish for that piece of bread. No extra steps, or complications. All of the credit/debit scores and issues wouldn't exist, because a fish on credit doesn't work too well. Either a trade is successful or its not, end of story. I do believe that certain types of competition is healthy, but bits of paper should not instill any measure of self value. People should compete with sports, school, beauty(?) and knowledge. Those who excel in a particular area should have power. The amount of 6 inch paper slips in a wallet should have no impact on what type of person someone is. Money is just a plain old bad idea.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad one of you took this option! Nicely done Laura! Very clever... I expecially like the "kindling" idea ;-). I hope writing this gave you a better idea of what it means to write satirically to make a point!

    ReplyDelete